How’s My Driving? - Safe Driving Blog Tips
A Year On: The UK’s Transport Decarbonisation Plan
Did you know that transport is the UK’s largest source of emissions, responsible for 27% of greenhouse gases in 2019 alone? Of this, 55% is produced by cars and majority of the other 45% is from vans and lorries.
In 2021 the UK Government unveiled its domestic plan designed to align the transport sector with the national net-zero target. It featured bold commitments such as banning the sale of new diesel and petrol HGVs, buses and the government’s fleet of cars and vans to transition to electric vehicles by 2027, instead of 2030.
To mark its one-year anniversary, the government has launched a new public consultation to accelerate the transition to zero emission travel by phasing out the sale of new fossil-fuelled motorbikes and mopeds by 2035, and even earlier for some vehicles. This means that electric motorbikes may soon become the norm on UK roads.
Not only did the plan set out the UK’s decarbonisation of transport, but it also promised create cleaner air, healthier communities and tens of thousands of new green jobs. Just one year into the plan there are almost 7,500 extra electric vehicle charge points have been installed, over 900,000 green vehicles are now on the roads, and over 130 new walking and cycling schemes have been funded. With the production of more zero emission vehicles it’s estimated to support a further 72,000 green jobs worth up to £9.7 billion to the economy by 2050.
It’s been announced this month that The Department for Transport will consult on how they can phase out polluting vehicles weighing between 3.5 tonnes and 26 tonnes from 2035 and those weighing more than 26 tonnes from 2040 at the latest.
Progress has showed a promising trajectory to support the UK achieving net zero status by 2050. Let us know your thoughts on our LinkedIn page.
10 May 2022